Transpower said today that it would work with Wellington developer Maurice Clark to redevelop new office premises for its Wellington-based workforce. The company will relocate from its existing buildings at 96 The Terrace and 93 The Terrace to redeveloped premises at 22 Boulcott Street at the end of 2017.
The company has been looking at accommodation options for a number of years due to the constraints of its existing premises, which houses around 500 staff and the 24/7 control room for the National Grid. Expenditure for relocation was allocated in the organisation's Regulatory Control Period 2 proposal which was accepted by the Commerce Commission in late 2014.
Transpower Chief Executive Alison Andrew said that the lease on its current building was due for renewal in October 2017 providing an opportunity to look at a different solution for the organisation that would create greater efficiencies.
"Transpower currently occupies two separate buildings on The Terrace which creates a number of inefficiencies. We went to market last year to investigate whether there was a better, more cost effective solution that would also provide a more productive and collaborative working environment for our people.
"We found that redeveloping an existing site, rather than continuing to refurbish the building we currently occupy, would provide substantial benefits - enabling us to combine our workforce into one building and provide a better working environment to suit the organisation’s needs into the future. Importantly, this more effective, long-term solution can be achieved at an appropriate price," she said.
The move to the new premises is proposed for October 2017.
- The main address will be 22 Boulcott Street, but will also have access from 78 Willis Street
- Transpower will lease the new premises and be the main tenant
- The building will be approximately 8400m2 of office space over five storeys with 1500m2 floor plates and an open atrium to enable vertical integration between the floors.
- It will be highly energy efficient, targeting 5 green star certified rating and 5 star NABERS rating
- It will meet 100% of current seismic standard for commercial buildings with some areas rated at 130%.
- Work is due to start in July 2015 and relocation is proposed for September 2017.
For further information, please contact:
Rebecca Wilson, Corporate Communications Manager; 04 590 6695; 021 578 608